Digital Photography Tutorials
- Digital Camera Basics handout
- NY Gigapixel image | Inauguration Gigapixel
- Cameras - A short introduction to the types of cameras available and a discussion on what you need to look out for when buying a camera.
- Tripods - More of a 'why you need a tripod' than a buyers guide, but it does include some tips on buying and using a tripod.
- Selection - A short piece of advice on showing your pictures to others.
- Holding The Camera - How to hold the camera properly and why. Also illustrations of how not to hold the camera
- Camera Shake - What is it? What does it look like? What causes it? How to avoid it.
- Composition - An introduction to composition, explaining the 'rule of thirds' and the use of diagonals.
- Cropping - How to fill your frame with your subject.
- Aspect Ratio - Sizing your image correctly to print
- Rule of Thirds - An important rule of composition. PhotoInf
- Leading Lines - Examples (Flickr) - Examples (PhotoTips.com)
- Framing -
- Composition Essentials - A Power Point with great tips about Leading Lines, camera angles, etc.
- Viewpoint - Another important aspect of composition.
- Light Handout
- Available Light - Getting the best out of the sun.
- Flash - Break away from the in-camera flash.
- Silhouettes - Example1 - Example2
- White Balance - How to set up your camera's manual white balance.
- Still Life defined - Examples | Google Images
- Stock Photos -
Shutterstock, iStock Photo, Getty Images, Stock xchng, Big Stock Photo, Dreamstime.
What to submit and not submit. Stock Photo Standards 1, Standards 2, PennyHoarder article, Public Domain Pictures
- Photo Hosting - Photobucket, Flickr, Webshots
- Exposure - Getting away from the auto settings.
- Shutter Speed & Apertures - An explanation of the mechanics of exposure and the side effects of choosing different aperture/shutter speed combinations.
- Exposure Compensation - Overriding the automatic metering system.
- ISO Speed - Another piece of the exposure puzzle.
- Depth of Field - Examples
- Manual Assignment
- Histograms - What they are trying to tell you. More Histogram & Contrast
- Macro | Examples
- Perspective - Focal Length & Perspective (old), Forced Perspective 1
Disney World Forced Perspective, Beast's Castle
Julian Beever 3D sidewalk chalk art
- Photo Critiques | Wikihow
- Portrait Tips | More Portrait tips
- Food Photography 101 | 12 Tips of Taking Pictures of Food | Food Pictures Tips w/ iPhone
- HDR, HDR Photoshop Toning Options examples, HDR Google Images | Realistic HDR
- Steps for Bracketing for HDR for a Canon Rebel XS:
1. Be in Av mode so that the shutter speed is used to control the bracketing.
2. Turn off AWB (Auto White Balance) and Auto Focus.
3. Set AEB to -2/0/+2. (Auto Exposure Bracketing)
4. Set Continuous shot mode.
5. Hold down the shutter release and the camera will take 3 shots.
Steps for taking Manual shots w/ Canon Powershot SX530 HS (no bracketing available)
1. Be steady as possible; use tripod or lean against a wall
2. Set the Mode to Av (Aperture priority)
3. Set your aperature to whatever you want for depth of field and lighting situation.
4. Make sure your Exposure is 0.
You want to take 3 or 5 pictures very quickly at (approx.) the following exposures:
-2, -1, 0, 1, 2 (just have a balanced amount of over/under-exposed images)
4. To adjust your exposure, press the +/- button. You can now control your exposure by spinning the dial.
Many of the tutorials are found at Geoff Lawrence.com Photography tutorials. There are many more tips and techniques at this site, check it out!
- Photo Tips - Picture Correct, PhotoInf
- Coffee Shop Tutorials
- Photoshop Essentials - tutorials
- Photographing babies
- Sample Poses when photographing couples
- Vector Logos | More Vector Logos
- Brush Tutorials
- Magic Wand
- Quick Selection Tool
- Spot Healing Brush | Spot Healing Brush (w/ content aware) | Healing Brush to remove wrinkles
- Portrait tricks - Glow effect (consider reducing opacity of Multiply layer on busier backgrounds)
- Blending Modes
- Quick Mask tutorial (makes a selection)
- Layer Mask tutorial (combining two images)
- Clipping Mask (with Shape) | Clipping Mask (with Text)
- Changing Hair Color - Saturation, Masks
- Break out of frame | Out of Bounds | 3D Border Break-out
- Clipping Mask
- Gradient Masking
- 3D / Perspective Text
- Pen Tool | Pen: Draw Heart | Pen tool video
- Text on a path | Fireworks - text on path
Photoshop Videos - Complete List
- Getting Started with Photoshop CS5 2:56
- Foreground - Background Color 9:52
- Correcting Perspective with the Crop Tool 3:12
- Using Marquee and Lasso Tools 7:30
- Choosing Colors Precisely with the Eyedropper 4:36
- Arranging Layers 9:25
- Mixing Layers with Blending Modes 6:45
- Intoduction to Adjustment Layers 8:04
- Non-Destructive Transformations 4:09
- Making a Ho-Hum RAW image great 10:02
- Using the Mixer Brush 7:19
- Working with Bristle Brush Tips 9:11
- Automatically Correcting Lens Defects 6:22
- Refining Selections Edges 5:45
- Tinting a Photo 6:05
- Saturating Selectively with Vibrance 3:19
- Creative Sepia Tones 7:47
- Focusing the Eye - with Lens Blur 4:19
- Photo Effects 6:55
- Fine-Tuning Filters 5:06
- Content-Aware Filling and Healing 10:19
- Creating Image Galleries with Adobe Bridge 5:17
This page was last updated 9/21/2018